4/16/2011

I have a torn meniscus, how can I reduce the pain and regain control of my life?


I have a torn meniscus, how can I reduce the pain and regain control of my life?I hurt my knee a couple of months ago and have been having major problems since. They finally discovered through MRI that it's a large meniscus tear and was going to surgically repair it. Unfortunately, surgery has been put off for a month.

I still have serious issues with pain and difficulty walking. Does anyone have any suggestions to help this heal on it's own? If I have to wait a month anyway, is there any chance of not needing the surgery at all by that time?

- devon1754
You could try to rub some Arnica oil on the affected area. It helps to reduce the pain and will soak right into your skin. It helped me when my knee hurt but my meniscus wasn't torn... Hope you feel better!!

- ahhchoooo
Not sure about your case, but I have a torn meniscus as well. There are days it hurts and days it does not, I opted actually not to do surgery as I can live with it and have other knee problems on top of this that would make the surgery complicated and a bit risky to knee mobility on the other side. I would say that the best thing for me is ibuprofen on its bad days and icing it and resting it on its bad days.. Otherwise I live a pretty normal life.. probably 80% of the time

- needy
mine is torn as well.i do not have insurance so i can not have it repaired....every 6 months i get a cortisone shot...it helps some what....good luck to you !!

- Madrox
Ive had crappy knees (and joints) for years. I take a glucosamine supplement daily. It takes a while to work so it wont be an overnight thing but it will be something that will help you as long as you take it. Take the liquid form, at night right before bed if possible for the best absorption. Otherwise for the short term take anti-inflammatory meds. Also: you may look at some compression braces to wear at night. I did that and it seemed to help it heal quicker...they are fairly cheap.

- Dennis R
If you have a large tear in the meniscus then the only way to back back to normal is to have surgery to repair it. You can take some of the stress of the meniscus and put yourself in good position after the surgery if your strengthen your leg muscles. Some exercises to try are: straight leg raises in 4 different directions- lie on your back and lift your leg 6 inches off the floor and hold 10 seconds, repeat 20 times...then lie on your side and lift the leg up and do the same as above, lie on your other side and do the same and finally on your stomach and do the same. Hope that helps

Add your own answer in the comments! Knee Disorders Treatment, Causes, Exercises, Prevention Tips, Symptoms ...


Orignal From: I have a torn meniscus, how can I reduce the pain and regain control of my life?

No comments:

Post a Comment