4/22/2011

Knee pain relief for runners?


Knee pain relief for runners?I run about 3 days a week. My knee hurts most days but worse the day after a run day. On a scale of 1-10, its about a 6. It hurts underneath the knuckle part of the knee. About 4 or 5 years ago, the Army said the cartlidge was just wearing down and to deal with it. I can't take anti-inflamatory drugs. Does anybody have any tricks or advise on how to minimize the damage/pain? I'm not going to quit running, though.
I run 10-12 miles a week right now. I've got a half marathon in 4 months and another 4 months after that. So I need to be increasing distance greatly. I know that I overpronate and am working of form correction. My legs are strong, since I have been running consistently for 12 years. The knee pain is just affecting my time and distance too much. My time has slowed so much, and most days I can't get past 5 or 6 miles.

- kat
I usually just ice my knees after runs when they hurt

- fragmental
My knee hurts a lot too and I also run between 10-15 miles a week.

I have been taking glucosamine/condroitin (spelling is off, I know) and it seems to make my knee not hurt AS much in the past three months that I've been taking it- but it still hurts.

You might also look into a cho-pat support band to stabilize your kneecap.

Good luck. Knee pain SUCKS.

- Lady Mala
It's called condamalaysia- not sure of the spelling. the cushioning below your kneecap is wearing away causing bone-against-bone rubbing. There really is no cure, maybe now they have a surgery, mine was years ago. All I could do was rest for a week or so, cold/hot compresses and pain relievers.

Get really, really cushioned running shoes that minimize impact. Go to a GOOD running shoe store and explain the situation. The person will understand and recommend the correct shoes. You need to protect against shock.

You might want to find a professional running evaluator, you may be running wrong- pronating, etc.

Good luck! Until my back went, I ran 10 miles a day.

- Abigail
I had terrible knee pain from running also but I did specific exercises that build up the muscles around the knee. It helped so much! I really felt a difference. You should try it.

This website has some exercises you can do to strengthen the muscles around the knee:

http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-241-285--11555-2-1-2,00.html

- Runner 4 Life aka Nate
I used to have the same thing happen to me. Icing your knees helps but there is this one secret I know that many people don't know about. It is called the Bike. What you do is lay down on your back and put your legs up in the air. Then move your legs like your pedaling a bike. Do this for awhile and you will start to feel this burn in your knee. This exercise workouts your knee muscles. Which makes them stronger making your knee not hurt anymore. Hope I helped.

Know better? Leave your own answer in the comments! Knee Disorders Treatment, Causes, Exercises, Prevention Tips, Symptoms ...


Orignal From: Knee pain relief for runners?

6 comments:

  1. wesome post thank you for sharing this valuable information.Keep update with your blogs.


    Zikia Pharmaceuticals

    AT 1000 TB (Zikia)

    HBE 1000 TB (Zikia)

    REJULIV DS (Zikia)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello, I have browsed most of your posts. This post is probably where I got the most useful information for my research. Thanks for posting, maybe we can see more on this. Are you aware of any other websites on this subject.
    https://touchofhealthmedical.com/orthopedics/hand-pain/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aw, i thought this was an exceptionally good post. In notion I must set up writing like that additionally – taking time and actual effort to produce a very good article… but what / things I say… I procrastinate alot and by no means manage to go completed. read the article

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was reading some of your content on this website and I conceive this internet site is really informative ! Keep on putting up. CBD Pain Cream

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wanted to thank you for this excellent read!! I definitely loved every little bit of it. I have you bookmarked your site to check out the new stuff you post. CBD Pain Cream

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wanted to thank you for this great read!! I definitely enjoying every little bit of it I have you bookmarked to check out new stuff you post. cbd cream for sale for major lower back pain

    ReplyDelete