5/18/2011

Joint pain in a healthy 19 year old?


Joint pain in a healthy 19 year old?I'm 19 years old and am a fairly athletic guy I played basketball, football and tennis in high school and work out regularly. I have gained weight since I am no longer in competitive sports but am not fat. Last spring I noticed pain in my shoulder during weightlifting and went to the nurse and said I had an inflammed rotator cuff. I quit lifting weights for about 4 or 5 months and just started. In a non-related weight lifting issue my knee gets very sore which has been going on for awhile and both of my wrists have experienced pain as well as both ankles (did suffer a pretty major ankle injury 3 years ago). What should I do about all this joint pain? I'm 19 and don't know why this is happening so young? Should I take joint relief pill go to the doctor? I just don't know what to do?

- Sage
It's very important that you see a doctor so he can exclude many of the diseases like rheumatoid arthritis or some viral or bacterial infections that have the potential for causing widespread chronic joint pain. The worst thing you could do would be to begin taking pain medications for a prolonged period that could mask the important diagnostic benefit pain is meant to be as a warning sign that helps keep us safe. Furthermore, many of the most effective medications (called NSAIDs for non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs), have side-effects of their own that can include causing ulcers and other serious digestive problems even when taken as directed.

Given that your pain doesn't seem to be the kind that's resulting from a specific cause (although any additional weight you may be carrying can have a significant impact upon your joints by stressing the mechanical devices they happen to be) it's even more important that you see a qualified health care professional for further assistance.

Please take care of yourself and I hope this helps. Best of luck.

- Gingercook83
First of all : You need to go to a good orthopedic doctor at the earliest.

Do you have morning stiffness (joint feeling tight) initially when you wake up and the stiffness goes of after you move the joints? This is a cardinal sign of arthritis related complaints.
There are arthritis which affects any age group, so don't be in a state thinking that you need to be old to get arthritis (in fact it is a kind of arthritis called degenerative arthritis) there are inflammatory arthritis also which even small kids may get (juvenile arthritis).
You need to get all the arthritis blood tests done and find out whether you have any and specific to that type of arthritis you need to take medicines.
If your joint pains are symmetrical, there is a high probability that your diagnosis is going to be arthritis.

Give your answer to this question below! Knee Disorders Treatment, Causes, Exercises, Prevention Tips, Symptoms ...


Orignal From: Joint pain in a healthy 19 year old?

No comments:

Post a Comment