4/15/2011

Any mountain bikers know what causes aching knees when riding a new bike?


Any mountain bikers know what causes aching knees when riding a new bike?Could it be the frame size, stem, or seatpost height? For some reason my knees are aching after rides. I'm 5'11" with a 30" inseam. I've been riding MTB for awhile so this injury is surprising to me. Help!

- gregg_bandy
Eat canned smoked oysters, you're probably low on protein and iron.

- AT
A big cause of knee pain is poor riding geometry. Seat too far forward is usually the cause. New bike = different geometry. Also compare crank lengths on old vs. new.

- Liam
I got this until I raised the height of my seatpost. Try that - I understand that is normally the cause. A seatpost that is too low can cause many problems while riding.

- sfr1224
Hum... Well, one possibility is you got a new bike and you are riding it crazy hard. If this is the case, as your conditioning improves your knees should get better.

I am guessing, however, the geometry is different and it is affecting your riding position and causing your knee trouble.

My first suspect is the seat is lower and is changing your pedal stroke. I always like to pull out a tape measure and get a new bike set up pretty much like my old one. Then I adjust here and there until it is exactly right.

Beyond this, there are some other possibilities:

The fore/aft positioning of the seat may be different. This too will affect your pedaling. (Remember, as you raise the seat, it changes the fore/aft positioning of the seat with respect to the pedals.) Also, since you are dealing with a different saddle, its most comfortable spot to sit may be different than the saddle on your old bike. So, you can't merely judge by where the nose of the saddle is relative to your old bike, you need to figure out where the sweet spot is.

If you changed pedal types, you may not have gotten the cleats positioned properly on your shoes.

If the bottom bracket of you new bike is wider, thus making
the pedals further apart, it may bother your knees a bit for a while, as well.

Hope this helps.

- Fred M
go to your local bike shop and "get fitted" to make sure the bike is adjusted to YOUR body
there are no exact formulas that you can get here
they will check seat height, handlebar & stem, cranks and pedals, cleats, etc.

Know better? Leave your own answer in the comments! Knee Disorders Treatment, Causes, Exercises, Prevention Tips, Symptoms ...


Orignal From: Any mountain bikers know what causes aching knees when riding a new bike?

No comments:

Post a Comment