5/20/2011

does someone know of an exercise video that I can purchase to keep fit even though I have a bad knee?


does someone know of an exercise video that I can purchase to keep fit even though I have a bad knee?I am 67, 155 lbs, and would like to purchase an exercise video to keep fit. I have a bad knee, so it would have to be one that would be kind to the knees. I am finding that I cannot button up shorts that I never had trouble buttoning before. Can`t afford a new wardrobe!!! Help!! Thanks in advance.

- Dragonfly
Walk Away the pounds is a good video, I do it when my knee is giving me fits (I injured one skiing post op after a soccer accident and the other has had ACL reconstruction) on any of the movements that hurt, just march through them, it will work wonders especially once you start working up the muscles around the knee and you can do more.

- s r
I am 35 but I have had a bad knee since I was 26 when I sustained an injury and had to have my medial miniscus removed and several inches of my sublatteral quad trimmed. My knee wasn't usable for a long time. I didn't have a quick recovery. However I started doing balance and agility exercises a couple of years ago and it really helped. I didn't use a video. I had to strengthen my calves, core and thighs to make up for the knee but I think now that those areas are stronger, my knee is spared from jolts and jarring movements. I definitely rely on my calves and abs to help my knee out.

If you can't button up some shorts and other things like that, it sounds like you've let your core go a bit. That means more pressure will be absorbed by your knees. I think that you should have a little discomfort in your knees as you strengthen yourself again, but it shouldn't feel intense or like an injury. It's not going to be totally discomfort free however to get started again. You have to pay close attention to how your knee feels. If I get a little sore I take some Advil and see if that helps. If it helps I know that my work out just caused a little inflammation. If it still hurts after Advil I know that I may have been too hard on it.

Check out the link I'm leaving that talks about which exercises are good in general for a bad knee.

Then check out the mayo clinic link for core exercises on a ball. GNC has exercise balls on sale for 15 dollars right now. You can use them to sit on while you are on the computer and that alone will start to strengthen your core and burn a few more calories than if you sat in a chair. You will feel better just from that, it really and truly works. Doing exercises on the ball is very awkward, a video helps and a class helps even more. Once you get used to it though you will find it makes you extremely strong and very balanced, which is exactly what you need to make up for your bad knee, the quicker and stronger your over-all balance is, the more you'll be able to guard and protect your knee during all types of exercise.

- Sheri S
I would consult my doctor, which in turn would be able to advise you better since he should be aware of your current situation. I just googled office exercises since I am always at a desk. It may surprise you over some of the office exercises that are out there that you may try. Anything that you choose at this point should be movements that feel natural and more geared for sedentary people. Even if you aren't sedentary, this may be something you can do until you get up with your physician. Google sedentary exercises, pick and choose wisely and then don't do anything that hurts you. I have been recently sucking in my gut and holding it for a few minutes everytime I think about it. This exercises that muscle and can be done anytime, anywhere.

Good Luck,
Sheri

- Candi X
Swimming is a great excersize with oour a lot of pressure, but if that is not possible. Yoga or Pilates is wonderful. Very easy on the body with huge results.

Add your own answer in the comments! Knee Disorders Treatment, Causes, Exercises, Prevention Tips, Symptoms ...


Orignal From: does someone know of an exercise video that I can purchase to keep fit even though I have a bad knee?

No comments:

Post a Comment